Saturday, January 30, 2010

Perks

The Scout Master's new job has it's perks. His company co-funded a new traveling exhibit on the Hubble Space Telescope. So we were invited to be some of the first to see it. We traveled a few hours to Science Central who opened early for the employees of the funding companies. We had such a good time. We did all sorts of fun things. Our favorite ended up being this climbing wall with "window." We also went into a blow up planetarium (looked like an igloo) to watch the winter night sky rotate around us while picking out the constellations. If you know the Scout Master at all, you know that he is in love with space and all the science and technology that goes along with it. So he was in heaven. We even met some influential people from the Goddard Space Flight Center (The Scout Master's dream come true).


The kids in the "window" on the
climbing wall.



The Scout Master riding the bicycle in the sky.



The official Ribbon cutting ceremony
for the exhibit.
The first two men from the left are
Martin Fisher (director of Science Central) and Russ (can't remember his last name
to save my life) from Goddard Space Flight Center. More on him in a minute.
See the little scissors in the right hand corner? That's the Scout Master's boss.


Bridget and I in the
"window."



As a result of our kids being so super cute, right after the ribbon cutting ceremony the Scout Master went right up to Russ (can't remember his last name to save my life, even though I have tried to look it up on the internet) shook his hand and started up a conversation. He adored our kids and asked to have his picture taken with them. He got several and I didn't even get one. I really should have gotten on in retrospect. I just didn't want to seem to forward at the time. Our kids liked him too because later they sat through his one hour lecture on the Hubble Telescope and the largest clean room in the world at the Goddard Space Flight Center. I learned so much from his lecture. I can see why the Scout Master is always in awe of space flight and the technology that goes along with it. We had a great time. Thanks USSI for giving us this perk.

1 comment:

Erika Amonett said...

Planetariums rock! Nice perk!