Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Service

I've been so busy. The call went out to our stake for 100, 90 x 90 quilts for the Church humanitarian efforts. They were completely out. We had to have them all done in 2 weeks and our ward was assigned to get 16 done. I went to work right away, using some fabric for tops that I had in my stash for close to 7 years at the least. When I started thinking about how long I had those fabrics I was amazed at how fast the time - space continuum gets as you get older. What the heck? Really 7 years have gone by that fast? Wow.

Wait what was I saying? Oh, yea.

I was happy to put this fabric to good use. Shortly after I got these two tops done we found out that all the fabric and batting had been donated and all we needed to do was pick it up. So I used the donated fabric for the backs of these quilts and the batting too because it was already cut
90 x 90 for us! I also did one up from fabric that was donated by another fun lady in our ward. So I did 3 myself, excepting the tying part. But I had a hand in that as well, I just didn't do it alone. Each quilt had to be 90 x 90, have a 1/4 inch seam around the edge and another seam at 1 inch in. Then it had to be tied every 4 inches. I was working vigorously and Wednesday, Thursday and a few hours on Saturday were spent in the church gym working on these large, fluffy double size quilts. They were a bear to get through the sewing machine for the 1/4 inch seam and the 1 inch seam as well. Had to make sure that all the fabric laid just right and practically had to strong arm them through the machine. Good thing my machine is a heavy duty one! It went a little easier if someone helped guide the quilt as well, and it went better when I had a large church table to work on!

Here are some pictures of tops that I made from my stash fabric. Just to give you some idea how big these actually are it takes 5 yards of fabric to make the top and 5 yards for the bottom.



Noah's ark fabric.




Just cute little country bears and
on the green is quilting baskets.


The final count turned in by our stake was 104. That is going to touch a lot of lives for just a few hours of work.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh Katie--I am so impressed! That is so neat that you did that for the church humanitarian efforts. I know that whoever gets those blankets will love them!