This is how the week leading up to Emma's baptism weekend was supposed to go.
Monday: Work on baptism dress and clean shop for food for everyone coming to stay at our house.
Tuesday: Work on baptism dress and clean
Wednesday: Work all day on baptism dress and finish it up.
Thursday: Take the dress to a friend's house because she has the best sewing machine of anyone that I know that can make the 20 + button holes in less then 30 minutes!!
Friday: Clean and scrub finish any laundry and greet guests when they arrive at dinner time.
Saturday: Baptism day
Sunday: Crash on the couch while still being polite to the guests staying at our home.
Yea, that was the dream.....that is NOT (let me repeat, NOT) what happened.
This is how the week went down:
Sunday: We find the kid's toilet is broken. It is now in the garage. We need all kinds of parts that are technical to fix it and reseal it to the floor so it won't leak. I am not amused and neither is the Scout Master for that matter.
Monday: The school nurse calls before 10AM. Emma is dizzy and not feeling well. I decided to go and get her and take her to the doctor this evening. She is fine after she eats lunch and I waste my money taking her to the doctor. Lowe's for toilet parts...I have not clue so I buy two of every thing so that the Scout Master can work on it tonight, hopefully. But find some good buys at Good Will with my mom.
Tuesday: I am behind and trying to catch up. The kids and I attend the parent's night meeting for Emma's class. I try to keep Emma and Kyle calm and quiet and still while balancing a sleeping little B on my lap, while taking notes.
Wednesday: We are up and getting ready for school when Emma complains of an itchy head. I go to my room prepared for itchy scalp caused by not properly rinsing out the shampoo. But find that some sinister bugs are at work there instead. (Yes, I mean lice. In my 31 years of lice I had never seen one and now I was getting baptized by fire). I call my mom, wake her up with my tear filled sobbing, she is thankfully coming over to help. Called the Scout Master crying and heart broken. He will not turn around and come home as I hoped. Then head to Wal-mart for the treatment, all of us still donning our PJ's and Emma had an attractive turbie twist on her head. Kyle's PJ's are miss matched of course. We come home and start bagging up everything we own (because of course she had every spare blanket in the house on her bed to play fort). It takes me over 3 hours to pick through her hair and then treat the rest of us as well. Vacuuming, cleaning, and disinfecting. Then $40 dollars at the laundry mat and Emma's interview with the bishop for her baptism. She was wearing a jean skirt and a PJ top at this point. Go back to the laundry mat to pick up my mom and the clothes she was drying. Get home around 8PM, the Scout Master is picking up pizza (thank you Little Cesar's for being hot and ready). Cut the Scout Master's hair and treat his head. More vacuuming, and mercifully bed. That was a fun day (please note the sarcasm of that last sentence).
Thursday: The Scout Master is home from work sick, he has no voice. Praying that it will come back by Saturday morning for the baptism. And Emma doesn't go in to school until I take Kyle in for afternoon Kindergarten. Yes, Kyle missed school yesterday as well. Emma decides after school that today is the day to get her hair cut and donate it to Locks of Love. Never let me think again that "this time Great Clips will give us a good hair cut." Because they didn't. I work on the dress and get the underpart done. The Scout Master works on the toilet. We are almost ready to bring it back in from the garage.
Friday: The Scout Master can talk better now and is off of work because he never works on Fridays. He calls his parents and grandparents who are on their way here to see where they are around 9AM, they are already more then half way here and my house is a disaster with about 25 loads of laundry (no, that really isn't and exaggeration) that need to be put away and a kitchen that is out of control. My mom saved my life that day. She came over and started cleaning while I got as far as possible with the pinafore of the dress. I only get the bodice part finished. I start cleaning and putting away laundry while the Scout Master works more on the toilet. We install the toilet and give a sigh of relief. My mom has now cleaned every one's room up and we rearrange Kyle's room and bring in a second bed. We make beds and my mom leaves. We start to put away clothes. We finish just in time to see our guest arrive. I make dinner and then head off for button hole installation. I come home and the kids have been outside playing with Granny and the men folk who had gone out to make copies of the baptism program are back and outside too. Becky (Papa's new wife) helps me by sewing on buttons while I get the skit attached to the bodice of the pinafore. I sew on the three buttons (yes, we eliminated buttons on the pinafore so that it would be finished in time) and wash the dress. We go to bed exhausted.
Saturday: Will have it's own post because it is such a special day.
Saturday, September 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Bless. Your. Heart! That sounds terrible! I am amazed that you were able to finish Emma's dress. It looks beautiful, by the way.
And you have an amazing mom. That is so sweet that she helped you out so much. She is a really great mother!
Post a Comment