Friday, February 20, 2009

My Little Fancy Nancy

Bonjour! (that is a fancy word for hello)

Today was dress as your favorite book character today at Emma's school. So we thought about it and she went as Fancy Nancy. Fancy Nancy is the cutest little red headed first grader there is (well, besides Emma, of course). We have never read the hardback Fancy Nancy book that started it all but we do have several "I Can Read It" books that are Fancy Nancy's adventures like Fancy Nancy Goes to the Museum, Fancy Nancy the Poison Ivy Expert, and Fancy Nancy and the French Boy. Oh, did I tell you that Nancy loves France and speaking French? Well, she does. You really need to check her out sometime.

So, Emma and I decided that she would go as Fancy Nancy and wear a little outfit that Granny and Grandpa Chester got her for Christmas (B has a matching one but I didn't think to put her in it to take pictures of them together). We did her hair all fancy and I put some bows in. I did 4 knots for her hair and when she left this morning she had a crown on as well. Then she wore little brown Mary Jane's. Very fancy indeed. Anyway, this is what she looked like when she got home from school today (I took a picture this morning but it was all weird, later I saw that there was something on the lens......).



When the scout master and I picked her up from school she informed us that she had won the little contest of who was dressed best as their character. She was overjoyed (that is a fancy word for excited) that after going down to the office with the other winners (each class had a winner got down to the office for judging) and returning to class her name was announced over the intercom as the winner! She has been smiling all day. I guess she didn't really need the boa I was trying to find for two days. I was overjoyed as well.

Just to prove the point after the movie (oh, we went to see this, and everyone enjoyed it) she asked me if I would paint her nails! So I did, I even bought her some little flower stickers for her nails. She told me she doesn't want me treating her like a baby anymore she wants to be a big girl. So I told her if she gives up acting like a baby then I will treat her more like a big girl (she has been talking a little baby and also having some other growing up issues). So tonight she proved to me that she could act like a big girl so we painted nails and bought the cool nail stickers.

I was just thinking the other day (after a conversation with two other mothers, which got me to thinking, don't you hate that?) about how maybe I don't spend enough time doing things, girly things, with my daughter. Like watching High School Musical or something like that. She really loves it when we have girl nights.....I need to do those more often.

I hope that you had a fancy day as well!! If you didn't try it.....I think you will like it!

2 comments:

Brielle said...

We just discovered the fancy nancy books. They are pretty cute. She looks great!

Nancy Sabina said...

How fun. I was just thinking that I don't spend enough time with my fancy girl, either. She's really old enough that I should start letting her stay up late one night per week or something and do some fun thing with just Mom and Dad. NOthing big, just a puzzle or play Barbie's or read a couple extra books or something. Thanks for inspiring me - I think I'll try that tonight.

(And I'm so sorry that I haven't had time to make it to the craft store yet to get new findings for your earrings. Last week got all thrown off with a sick kid - but I'll get to it this week I swear!)