Friday, July 17, 2009

Going to the Temple & Their Gonna Get Married




Today The Scout Master and I were able to go to the Chicago Temple. I was very excited to go because this was not just any trip to the temple, it was a special trip to see my sister from another mother get married. I talked about this family just a few blogs ago, remember? They were practically my second parents and their son and I were always together? It's the Fellow Family just to jog your memory.

We left the house around 9AM(our time) and got to there around 10:55AM(Chicago time) after snacking on some beef jerky and cashews because we knew we would not have time to stop for lunch. We had to be there and be changed by 11AM. An over turned potato truck and that terrible Chicago traffic contributed to our tardiness. We scramble into the temple and they check our recommends and kindly tell us that we are going to make it. They will always hold the session for a few people, if they need to. Kind and friendly as all temple workers always are. But then I see Margret and she is not changed yet, and I say "Oh, I see her mother." Then they tell me that the session does not even start until noon. Ah, we are an hour early!! So we change and go to the cafeteria for a little snack and a drink. It was nice to have this time to let the stress melt away. While we were waiting I got to talk to some people that I knew and made it to the session on time.

After the endowment session was over we went across the hall to the sealing room. I am always impressed by how beautiful it is in the temple. There I witnessed as Katie and Spencer were not just married but sealed together for time and all eternity. It caused the Scout Master and I to reflect on the day that we were sealed in the Salt Lake temple, almost 11 years ago. It was nice to hear those words again and to be reminded that the Lord loves us so much that He makes a way for our families to be together forever. If we do our part by being obedient to His commands, we can not only return to live in His presence but also be reunited to our loved ones. How wonderful is that? It was a very special day for Katie and Spencer and I was so happy that I could be there to join in.

We changed back into our Sunday best and headed outside to get some pictures. I could not for the life of me find my camera so I don't have any pictures, but there was a very big surprise waiting for me outside. I walk out chatting with the Scout Master and a few others when I see some kids running around. Then I notice that those kids look really familiar to me. Then I see the kids mom....and it is my very good friend Michele whom I haven't seen in almost 2 years. She could not find a babysitter so that she could come into the temple but she had dressed them up and loaded them in the car and driven an hour and a little more to see, me!! I was beyond excited. She had her back to me so I ran up behind her and gave her the biggest hug I possibly could. Remember the cheesy grin? Right back on my face. We giggled like teenagers (I didn't know grown women could still do that, but we sure did). We got to chat, in person even, and I got hugs from the kids too. They of course asked where Emma was. How great is that? It was so great to see her and to talk to her. I really have missed her.

After the photos where over The Scout Master and I were ready to eat. So we headed down the only street we know up there and stopped at the book store where I got a beautiful painting of Christ healing a young girl, for over my piano for half price. Gotta love that. It looks really nice there too. Then we walked across the parking lot to find some dinner and we had a great meal.

The drive home was awful. It was 5:30 Chicago time and that means traffic. It took us twice as long to get home as it did for us to get there. At our last toll booth we purchased and i-zoom so next time we won't have to stop to pay the tolls. Won't that be nice? I am really looking forward to our next trip.

To learn more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and why we attend the temple please go here. That's is were you will find the truth about what we believe.

No comments: